Author Notes: A good guacamole recipe is never shunned from the old recipe books. Especially since this recipe its a two for one deal. Guacamole and salsa. Instead of chopping up veggies and adding them to the avocado, I just made a salsa, and tossed it into the avocado to make it guac. Now you've got two sauces for dipping, topping and snacking! - Brussels Sprouts for Breakfast
Makes 1 bowl of guac + 1 bowl of salsa
- 2 avocados
- 5 tomatillos (husks removed and rinsed)
- 1 medium tomato (halved)
- 1 jalapeno (halved)
- 1/2 medium yellow onion
- 1 green garlic stalk (or 2 cloves in paper)
- 1 lime
- salt and pepper
- Crank up the grill or grill pan to medium high. Toss on the tomatillos, tomato, jalapeno, onion and green garlic. Let all vegetables sit until a black char has formed, turning to get the same result on all sides. Takes about 15 minutes total.
- Remove from heat. Discard onion wrapper. Chop up the green garlic to 4 inch pieces so it can go into the food processor.
- Add tomatillos, tomato, onion, green garlic, jalapeno, salt and pepper to blender or food processor. Pulse until smooth.
- Cut both avocados in half and remove the pit. Scoop out the avocado into a mixing bowl. Mash with a spoon until creamy, but still chunky. Squeeze the juice of a lime over the avocado and mix to combine.
- Add 1/2 of the salsa from the blender to the avocado and stir. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve guacamole alongside the remaining salsa with fresh tortilla chips.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Grilled Vegetable Dish