If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: One of my oldest and dearest friends in the world makes this cake for Groom every year on his birthday. Or if someone just needs a lift. Or if she just needs a lift. The chocolate buttercream is lucky to make it onto the cake. Add this one to your repetoire. It's a showstopper. Everytime. - Feeding Groom
Serves 8 generously
- 2-½ cups all purpose flour
- 3 cups sugar
- 1-1/8 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2-¼ tsp baking powder
- 2-¼ tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 eggs
- 1-½ cups whole milk
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp real vanilla extract
- 1-½ cups boiling water
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease three 9-inch round cake pans. Cut three pieces parchment paper to fit the bottom of the pans, place in pans and spray with vegetable spray, like Pam.
- Combine flour, sugar, soda, baking powder and salt in large bowl. Blend well with electric mixer on low speed. While on low, add eggs one at a time until mixed well. Slowly add milk, oil, vanilla and put mixer on medium and blend well. Put speed on low and add boiling water in slow stream.
- When combined, pour into the prepared cake pans and bake 30 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean. Cool then remove from the pan. You can wrap these individually in saran wrap and freeze for later use.
- 8 tbsp unsalted butter, room temp
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 cups confectioner's sugar, sifted
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 2 tsp real vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp salt
- Place butter and the cocoa powder in large bowl. Blend on low with electric mixer til soft and well combined. That takes about 30 seconds. Stop mixer. Put the confectioner's sugar, milk, vanilla, salt in bowl and beat with mixer on low speed til the frosting lightens and is fluffy. Add more milk if it’s too thick and more confectioner’s sugar if too thin. Makes plenty to fill and frost the three layer cake.
Too Many Cooks: Who Has Changed the Way You Cook?
Let's talk game changers and influencers.
Shop Spring Cleaning
Simple, Springy Leek Soup
A well-rounded bud vase.
The Best Cinnamon Rolls