Author Notes: Cool, sweet and spicy, a perfect go-to, add-on recipe for the hot grilling days ahead. Mangoes are a natural pairing for coconut. Onion, sweet and hot peppers, fresh ginger and plenty of garlic add the heat. Coconut adds the crunch and a hint of coconut oil adds the dressing.
Serve with grilled chicken or fish. Add to a steaming pot of jasmine rice. Add as a tropical garnish to salmon burger. It's summer. . . with lighter fare, anything goes. - Vivian Henoch
Makes about 2 cups
- 1 mango, peeled and chunked
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 hot (jalapeno) pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil leaves
- salt, red pepper flakes to taste
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut, packaged or fresh
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- This one is easy. In a mixing bowl, combine all chopped ingredients; toss in coconut, coconut oil, pepper flakes. . . stir and enjoy.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Coconut