If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A fun twist on the old-fashioned Pineapple Upside Down Cake, this cake works well as a coffee cake or as a dessert. It's also about as easy as it gets when it comes to cake! The batter is similar to making pancakes--no creaming of butter and sugar required, or mixing dry and wet ingredients in separate bowls. Also, no frosting needed! The soft, spongy cake is a delightful contrast to the brown sugar-pecan-coconut crust that will form on top. Enjoy! - Allegra W
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Penzeys Baking Spice blend (or your own mix of cinnamon, cassia, mace, and/or allspice)
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the butter in a 9” baking pan and melt in the preheating oven.
- Once butter is melted, sprinkle brown sugar evenly into butter, followed by ¼ C of the coconut and the pecans.
- Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, and spice blend.
- Add the remaining ingredients and a ½ C more of the coconut, beating until smooth (use a hand mixer to speed up the process).
- Pour batter into pan and spread to the edges, taking care to keep the toppings at the bottom of the pan.
- Return to the oven and make 30-35 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Run a knife around the edge of the pan to loosen the cake, then cover the pan with a plate and flip over to remove the cake.
- Sprinkle the remaining ¼ C of coconut over the top.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Coconut
Dumplings, No Recipe Required
Dumplings for one, dumplings for all.
Shop Spring Cleaning
Gluten-Free Strawberry Tart
Eclectic Truffle Chocolate Bars
Cuban-inspired recipes to cook now.