If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe makes use of all manner of coconut ingredients - coconut water, coconut oil, shredded coconut, and finally, coconut cream. I love fruit desserts, and wanted something that would yield at least four servings for a company dessert. In spite of the richness of the whipped coconut cream, this concoction is surprisingly light. All parts of this dessert can be made in advance and assembled at the last minute. —Bevi
For the Pineapple Sauce and the the Coconut Crusted Mango Slices
- 1 cup coconut water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- juice of one small lime
- zest of 1/2 small lime
- 1 mango, peeled and sliced 1/2" thick (allow 2 slices per serving)
- 4 1/2 " slices of pineapple, cored and chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon rum with coconut overtones, or coconut rum
- 2 cups good quality shredded coconut
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- Place the coconut water, sugar, lime juice, and lime zest in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir to dissolve the sugar. Bring to a simmer, and add the mango slices. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes; just enough to soften the mango slices without them becoming mushy. Remove the mangoes from the liquid and set aside to cool.
- Add the pineapple chunks to the simmering syrup. Cook until the pineapple is completely soft. Set aside to cool.
- Place the pineapple and syrup into a blender or food processor. Add the rum. Puree until the pineapple is completely incorporated - the color of the sauce will be a heavenly yellow. Place in a small bowl and put in the refrigerator for about an hour.
- Press shredded coconut on top of the mango slices. Place 1 TBLS. coconut oil over medium heat until it sizzles. Place the mango slices, shredded coconut side down, into the oil. Immediately place more shredded coconut on top of the slices, and carefully flip the slices over to brown the on the second side. Add more coconut oil if necessary. Place browned mango slices on a platter and set aside.
For the Coconut Whipped Cream and Assembly
- 1 14 oz. can coconut cream, which has been refrigerated for a day
- 2 teaspoons raw sugar, or regular sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- refrigerated mixing bowl or mixer bowl
- Place the mixing bowl in the freezer for about 10 minutes.
- Take the can of coconut cream out of the refrigerator and flip the can upside down. Drain off the coconut water that is on the top of the contents - you can find other uses for this liquid.
- Take the mixing bowl out of the freezer, and place the coconut cream in the mixing bowl. Blend on high speed, adding the sugar and vanilla. Stop the mixing to scrape the sides of the bowl so all the coconut cream is fully incorporated. Mix for about 5 minutes total - until the coconut cream is fluffy, peaks, and resembles real whipped cream.
- Assemble all of the recipe components - the whipped coconut cream, the cooled pineapple sauce, and the coconut crusted mango slices. Place a generous dollop of coconut cream in the center of each dessert plate. Spoon a moat of pineapple sauce around the whipped coconut cream. Place 2 mango slices atop the cream "mountain", and garnish with mint.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Coconut
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Coconut
The Best Vegan Cookbook Tips
Better "bacon," tofu's texture, and more
The best vegan cookbook tips.
What to watch (and cook to) on Netflix.
It's time to travel.
Why you should be drinking tequila.
Put cake on a pedestal.