If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I've turned chocolate chip cookies inside out and created salted almond cookies with dark chocolate ganache sandwiched in between. Crunchy and grown up, and kinda decadent they were the hands down favorite last year. You can absolutely cheat and use Nutella if you don't want to make ganache, but they will be sweeter. I can't remember where I found the first recipe, I think it was about 7 yrs ago in the Times in an article about the best chocolate chip cookies, and there was a recipe featuring peanut butter dough, which I switched to almond butter, I have a piece of butter stained paper with the dough recipe from last year, but not so sure where it came from. —Aliwaks
Serves 2.5 doz
- 12 ounces unsalted butter, best you can get your hands on
- 3 cups Flour
- 1 Vanilla bean, scraped
- 1.5 cups raw sugar
- 3/4 cup packed Dark Brown (muscavado) Sugar
- 2 tsp salt, fine
- 1.5 teaspoons baking soda
- 6 tablespoons roasted almond butter
- 1 lightly beaten large egg
- 2 tablespoons fleur de sel (optional)
- 1 cup chopped dark toasted almonds (optional)
- Melt butter & vanilla in heavy bottomed sauce pan, add flour cook till light brown, this process is somewhere between a pate choux and roux, set aside, let cool.
- Pre -heat oven to 350
- In food processor, process sugars, baking soda, almond butter, salt till smooth and creamy
- add egg, process again to incorporate
- add roux, process again till fully incorporated.
- Dough maybe sticky or oily , if so you can refridgerate a bit, but it's not necessary,
- cover baking sheet with parchment or silpat, drop well rounded teaspoons of batter about 1" apart.
- Sprinkle a few grains of fleur de sel on top of half the cookies (these will be the top half of the sandwich) bake 12 -13 min.. watch carefully till brown at edges, cool,
- When cookies are cool, spread some of ganache on the bottom of 1 cookie and top with second cookie ( the one with fleur du sel on top) You can take this 1 step further and really fill the cookies with ganache then roll edges in chopped toasted salted almonds
Chocolate ganache (can be done the day ahead)
- 8 ounces Best quality dark chocolate, chopped
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 vanilla pod
- 1 tablespoon cognac or rum or brandy or frangelico
- Heat cream with vanilla bean till almost simmer, remove from heat let steep 20 min.
- Bring cream back up to simmer, remove vanilla bean strain over chopped chocolate (Make sure chocolate is in a very clean very dry bowl)
- mix together, add liquor, mix again, let cool slightly till easily spreadable
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Holiday Cookie
A Quesadilla, Case Closed
An easy, summer dinner
A quesadilla, case closed.
Spike your granita with campari.
7 food-filled honeymoons.
Savor the season.
This pasta's mint to be.