Author Notes: This is a vibrant soup with bright and fresh flavors. Mint and peas is a classic combination. Accompanied with the natural sweetness of roasted garlic and carrots and a kiss of spices, this elegant dish is a definite winner. Serve with fresh crusty ciabatta or croutons. - Kaira G
- 2 cups Fresh or frozen peas
- 2 Carrots cut into 1 inch chunks
- 2 cups Low sodium veg or chicken broth
- 1 cup non fat plain yogurt
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 10 Mint leaves
- 1/2 Large garlic diced
- 1 pinch Cumin
- 1 pinch Cinnamon
- 1/2 tablespoon Butter
- 3 tablespoons Olive Oil
- Preheat oven to 390 degrees F (~200 degrees C). Line a baking tray with parchment paper or foil.
- On the baking tray, add 2 tbsp of olive oil, salt and pepper to carrots and garlic cloves and toss to coat. Arrange garlic cloves and carrots in a single layer. Bake in oven for 3o to 35 minutes until carrots are tender. Squeeze roasted garlic out from the skin and set aside with the carrots.
- In a separate large saucepan, melt the butter in the remaining olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook for 2 to 3 minutes until it starts to brown.
- Stir in peas, roasted carrots and garlic. Cook for another minute. Add in hot simmering broth and cook for another 3 to 4 minutes until peas are tender.
- In batches, transfer the broth with the veggies into blender. Add in yogurt, fresh mint leaves, roasted carrots and garlic. Blend until a smooth mixture.
- Return soup to the saucepan. Stir in buttermilk (if using). Season with cumin, cinnamon and pepper as needed and bring to a simmer. Serve pipping hot with a drizzle of yogurt if desired.