Author Notes: These Asian short ribs are some of the easiest but most succulent short ribs you will ever taste!! Basically you throw everything into a crock pot and let them cook and tenderize. Reduce the cooking liquid into a tasty syrup and put atop some yummy creamy polenta!! ENJOY!!! - Laurenzim
- 6 pounds Short Ribs
- 3 cups Beef Stock
- 6 tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
- 6 tablespoons Soy Sauce
- 6 tablespoons Brown sugar
- 10 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 knob of ginger shaved
- 4 star anise (optional)
- Heavily salt and pepper the short ribs. Brown one at a time in a heavy pot. Be sure to turn to get each side browned slightly. Remove and add to empty crockpot when finished.
- Make the sauce for the beef by adding each ingredient listed and give them a good stir together. Once combined, add to crockpot on top of short ribs.
- Cook Short ribs on high 5-7 hours or on low 8-10. You will know they are done when the beef falls off the bone.
- Remove meat from bone and cover and set aside.
- skip the oil/fat off the top of the remaining cooking liquid in the crockpot. Once you have a majority of the fat off the top, strain with a fine strainer.
- Put the remaining liquid into a heavy pot and reduce for 15-20 mins until a heavy syrup forms.
- Use this syrup to dress meat. I usually serve on top of creamy polenta (recipe in collection to come) or potatoes.