Author Notes: about 15 years ago my good friend Nina gave me this delicious and easy recipe. I vary it by adding tomatoes and pasta or kale or whatever else feels appealing at the moment. I use canned beans but you can certainly use dried beans, soaked overnight, if you prefer. - sweet enough
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2-3 ribs celery, diced
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 cloved garlic, minced
- 2 15 1/2 oz cans cannellini beans (or great northern or navy)
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary, leaves removed and finely minced
- 4-5 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- place the olive oil over a medium high heat in a soup pot and cook the onion until it starts to turn translucent. add the garlic, celery, and carrot and cook for another 2-3 minutes, taking care not to burn the garlic. add the beans, rosemary and the broth. bring to just the point of a boil and lower heat. simmer uncovered for about 45 minutes.
- puree about 3/4 or the mixture in a blender (make sure soup is cool enough to handle) or better yet use an immersion blender.
- serve with a drizzle of excellent olive oil and some grated parmigiano reggiano