If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Rhubarb is a classic fruit for a fool; its sweet and sour taste has herbal notes of the garden, and this makes a pleasant contrast to the sweet, rich whipped cream. (This recipe is from Bakeless Sweets by Faith Durand.) - Faith Durand
- 1/2 pound pound rhubarb stalks, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 cup hulled and chopped strawberries
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 long strips lemon peel
- 1 cup cream, chilled
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Mix the rhubarb, strawberries, sugar, and 1/4 cup water in a saucepan with the lemon peel. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes, or until the rhubarb has just begun to soften. Transfer to another bowl and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or until quite cold.
- Whip the cream with the sugar and vanilla until soft peaks form and the cream has doubled in volume. Fold about 2/3 of the compote into the cream. Divide among 4 glasses or dessert bowls and chill for an hour, or until serving. Top each dish with the remaining compote before serving.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!