Author Notes: During those grimy 'romantic' days of long distance train travel in India, there was a time when every train station was known for its signature snack that would be sold out of woven bamboo baskets. Those days have given way to packing your own food, but here is my favorite. - Panfusine
Makes 1.5 cups
- 3/4 cups Garbanzo flour
- 1 cup raw peanuts, shelled
- 1/4 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon powdered bishops weed (ajwain)
- 1 teaspoon mix of cayenne & paprika (adjust the proportion to suit your level of heat)
- Water or plain seltzer - just enough to make a thick paste like batter
- 3 cups vegetable oil for deep frying
- Sift together the garbanzo flour, cayenne, salt, turmeric and bishops weed, add just enough water or seltzer to make a thick paste.
- Add the peanuts into the batter and coat evenly.
- Heat oil until it begins to shmimmer on the surface (but NOT smoky). Using your fingers gently separate the peanuts over a spider skimmer (you will get some nuggets as well, but they're equally delicious) and dip the spider into the hot oil and gently dislodge the batter coated peanuts. Fry until the batter turns a golden brown and then transfer them into a tray lined with absorbent Kitchen paper. Allow to cool completely and crisp up over night. Pack portions into snack bags and pack them for the road trip.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Road Trip Snack