If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Sometimes I fall in love with a dish and when I recreate it I find that I have inadvertently changed ingredients to ones that I prefer over the original recipe. This was a recipe that I thought that I was recreating from a well known chef''s that he prepared at our winery for a food demonstration. When I quizzed him on it a few months later after I made my version I found that mine was completely different than his. Well I like mine anyway! It is very important to use "dayboat scallops". They are harvested and delivered in a day. Other scallops may be treated with a phosphate dip to retain the liquid , and these are almost impossible to brown because the liquid is released and ends up poaching the scallop instead of searing. Dipped scallops do NOT taste anything like a real scallop in taste or texture! - dymnyno
- 18 dayboat scallops
- 1 large cauliflower
- 1/2 to 1 cup heavy cream, add a little at a time
- 1/2 cube soft butter
- 3 tablespoon olive oil (for sauteeing scallops)
- about 4 tablespoon flour (Wondra)
- 4 slices very crispy bacon or pancetta,(crumbled)
- pink peppercorns
- Steam the cauliflower until very tender. Put into food processor and puree with cream and butter. Add the cream a little at a time...don't let the cauliflower get soupy. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Remove the little musle that is part of the scallop...it pops out very easily. Very lightly dust them with flour, just on the top and bottom which will be carmelized.
- Sautee on high heat in a little olive oil until the scallops have a nice crispy golden color. When the scallops are golden on both sides; lower the heat and cook for about a minute more. (be sure that the scallops are not touching while sauteeing)
- Spoon the cauliflower on a plate. Then place 3 scallops on top of the cauliflower.
- Sprinkle liberally with the very crispy crumbled bacon.(or pancetta)
- Finish with a sprinkling of pink peppercorns.
- WINE: This recipe is a umami fest!!!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Scallops
Have a Brew-ti-ful Day
Shop our newest caffeinated collection.
Everything you need for coffee and tea.
Your Memorial Day menu made easy.
A list of things we like.
Home & design links we love.
Add flower power to your espresso.