If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My brother in law has a reputation for loving peanut butter. The first Christmas after our wedding, I packed up a tin of homemade cookies to send out to my now expanded family. Garry's reaction to these cookies was 'WOW',. Since then, I send the standard mixed cookie tin to his family, and a separate tin with a dozen peanut butter sandwich cookies just for him. They are ethereally light, crispy and mmmmm-inducing. Make them small - they are very rich. I use a teaspoon sized scoop. The recipe came to me from a friend of a friend, so many years ago I can't even recall. It is easily the most popular of the 20 or so types I make. - MrsWheelbarrow
Makes 4 dozen
Peanut Butter Cookie
- 6 ounces unsalted butter, best quality
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter (I use Jif - do not use natural peanut butter)
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 vanilla bean, scrape seeds
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350. Line two baking sheets with parchment.
- Cream butter, peanut butter and sugar together until lightened.
- Add egg, beat to combine, then add vanilla bean. Beat well until combined and lightened.
- Sift together flour, baking soda and salt. Fold into butter mixture thoroughly, but gently.
- Place rounded teaspoons of dough on the sheet pan, about 2" apart, and press down gently with a fork or with two floured fingers.
- Bake about 10-12 minutes, until barely golden on top, and golden brown on the bottom. The cookies will be very soft, so don't fuss with them until they cool.
- Allow the cookies to cool completely while you make the sandwich cream.
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups confectioners sugar
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup finely chopped semisweet chocolate or miniature chips
- 4-6 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Beat the sugar, butter and peanut butter together.
- Stir in vanilla and chocolate. Add cream until smooth enough to spread.
- Put the little cookies together, gluing one half to the other with a very generous schmear of sandwich cream. If you are very lucky, there will be broken halves, or uneven numbers - as that means a little snack for the baker.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Holiday Cookie
These Ballads Are Bananas
Our favorite food-centric songs.
A feast for the ears.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
We're woven this backpack.