Author Notes: This is the number one reason I dream about corn season, since this recipe works best with fresh sweet corn. This dish is eaten warm with cheese. The texture of the cakes is very moist and even though its sweetness contrast well with the salty cotija cheese it can be eaten on its own. - Mi Budare
- 1/2 butter stick plus more for the pan
- 6 cups fresh corn about 6 ears
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup yellow precooked corn meal
- 1/2 cup All-purpose flour
- Cotija cheese to sprinkle on top (optional)
- Melt the half stick of butter. Set a side.
- Blend the corn, whole milk, eggs, sugar, salt and melted butter until the corn has puree completely about 1 minute.
- Add the precooked yellow corn meal and all-purpose flour to the blender and blend until just incorporated
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium low heat. Once heated put in the middle of the pan about 1/4 tsp of butter. Spread it around just a bit and put a little less than a 1/4 cup of batter on top of it. With the help of a spoon spread the batter until it is about 4 inches in diameter.
- Cook for 2 minutes or until the cachapas are golden crispy on the edges and have set enough that they can be flip. They should have a deep brown color. Cook on the other side for another minute.
- Sprinkle with cheese if available. Serve warm.