If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A perfect dish for July 4, since it's red, white, and blue (once you add the vanilla ice cream!). But you can substitute other variations on the fruit for other occasions: Apples, cranberries, and ginger in the fall or winter; rhubarb, apricots, plums, and strawberries in the late spring. —Joan Nathan
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 1/2 sticks of unsalted butter (or 3/4 cup of coconut oil)
- 1 pinch salt
- 10 cups mixed fruit: strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, bite-size pieces of rhubarb
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/4 cup candied ginger, diced
- First, make the crust by using a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Pulse the flour, salt, and 1/2 cup sugar together.
- Divide the butter or coconut oil into smaller amounts, add gradually to the bowl, and process until crumbly. Add the egg yolks and process until a ball is formed, adding more flour if necessary.
- (To make the dough by hand, use your fingers or a pastry blender to work the butter into the flour, salt, and 1/2 cup sugar until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Add the egg yolks and work the dough into a ball.)
- Flatten the dough with your hands or a rolling pin to about a half-inch thickness, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least a half hour.
- When you're ready to make the crisp, preheat oven to 450.
- Put the fruit in a 9-by-13-inch Pyrex pan. Sprinkle lemon zest, the preserved ginger, and the remaining 1/2 cup sugar over all; mix together with the fruit, using your hands.
- Remove the crust from the refrigerator, pinch off nickel-sized bits of dough, and sprinkle over the top. You want it to be rustic.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the fruit juicy. Remove from the oven and set on a rack to cool. Serve warm or at room temperature, topped with generous scoops of vanilla ice cream.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
No Laffy Matter
How to make peanut butter salt water taffy
How to make salt water taffy.
Independence Day, the no-recipe way.
Free shipping! Use code FIREWORKS.
Just for the halibut.
Savor the season.