Author Notes: Mint- the cavalier. - Droplet
- 3 ripe apricots
- 3/4 cups rose petals
- 10-15 fresh true mint leaves
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cup cold buttermilk
- 1/4 cup water
- Pour the sugar in a small pan and set on the stove over low heat. Wash and chop the apricots and place in a clean ceramic bowl. Snip the rose petals finely and add them as well. Stir the sugar and when it is hot to touch mix it in with the apricots and petals, reserving about 1 tablespoon. Add 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice on top and let sit for a few minutes while you prepare the mint.
- Place the mint leaves in a ceramic mortar along with the reserved 1 tablespoon sugar and bruise them well. Add them to a blender, along with the buttermilk, and puree well. Add the apricot- rose mixture and water and puree again.
- Pour the mixture in a fine sieve and press with a spatula in a circular motion to extract as much of the juices as possible, then discard the remaining solids. Serve right away with ice.
- Ripe apricots make a big difference and please make sure you use unsprayed rose petals. A variety works great if you can get it. True mint would be the best choice, followed by spearmint.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Fresh Herbs