Author Notes: For some reason I always attribute ginger with the holidays and this is my favourite ginger snap recipe as they come out gorgeous and chewy. A photographer I work with gave me the recipe after he made them in the studio one day and I fell head over heels for them and made him email me the recipe at once. - Adele
Serves 5 dozen
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar, plus more for rolling
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, slighty beaten
- Melt the butter in a saucepan. Remove from the heat and stir in the molasses and vanilla. Set aside to cool.
- Sift together all the dry ingredients(including 1 cup of sugar) into a bowl. Add the egg to the cooled butter mixture and stir it into the dry ingredients. Combine well. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate the mixture until fairly firm,about 30 minutes
- Fill a small bowl with sugar. Using your hands roll the dough into 1 inch balls. Roll each ball in the sugar and place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake until the bottoms begin to brown, about 10 minutes. Cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes. Makes 5 dozen cookies.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chewy Sugar Cookie
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Holiday Cookie