Author Notes: The recipe makes more tahini sauce than necessary for one bundle of asparagus so, if you are planning a larger get together, you need only adjust the amount of asparagus. Extra sauce is wonderful as a sandwich spread or veggie dip. For a vegan alternative, replace the honey with agave nectar.
Preserved lemons can be found in middle eastern markets and some health food stores. They are SUPER easy to make and require only two ingredients, salt and lemons. You can also experiment with limes or meyer lemons. I do recommend using organic, as you will be eating the rind and not the flesh. They take a month to cure but after that they last a year. - megsmarbles
- 1 bunch asparagus spears
- olive oil
- Trim asparagus by bending base until bottom breaks off, discard bottoms. Peel lower half of asparagus.
- Heat about a tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet large enough to hold the asparagus in one layer (or work in batches) over medium heat. Once oil is hot, add asparagus, quickly salt and toss the asparagus so each spear is coated. Arrange spears in a row and leave for 5 minutes or until undersides start to brown. Flip and cook for an additional 5 or so minutes. Once the asparagus have a lovely mottled look, plate leaving excess oil in the pan.
preserved lemon tahini sauce
- 1/4 preserved lemon
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon avocado oil (olive oil works too. toasted sesame could be interesting!)
- scant 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- water to thin
- Remove the pulp of the preserved lemon and discard. Rinse the rind thoroughly.
- Place all ingredients except water in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Add water in small increments until desired consistency is reached. I kept mine rather thick but feel free to thin further for more of a drippy salad dressing viscosity.
- Since preserved lemons are preserved with ample salt, taste dressing before adjusting seasoning. You may find you do not need to add any salt.
- Serve in dollops atop asparagus!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Most Impressive Dinner Party Side