If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A while back I made a cocktail I dubbed the Szechuan Mule—a riff on the Moscow Mule using szechuan peppercorn steeped vodka and a homemade ginger ale of sorts. I had quite a bit of fresh ginger and lime juice leftover which I had frozen in ice cube trays. I ended up putting a cube each of ginger and lime into a large water bottle to take with me wherever I went. Since then I try to always have cubes of lime, lemon and/or ginger juice in the freezer but I figured I could just as easily make a mixer that could become a cocktail, mocktail or just plain summer sipper. These cubes are a refreshing and zingy mix of cucumber, ginger, lime, agave, basil and mint and can be mixed with water, club soda, tonic, vodka, rum, tequila or any mix of the lot. You could even float some thin slices of jalapeño in there. I used four cubes and water for a perfectly balanced limeade, but you can choose your own potency. - savorthis
Makes 8 drinks
- 6 ounces lime juice*
- 2 ounces ginger juice*
- 8 ounces cucumber juice*
- 3 ounces agave nectar or simple syrup
- 2 tablespoons basil, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon mint, thinly sliced
- Mix all ingredients well and pour into ice cube trays, stirring gently to distribute the herbs. Freeze until solid. Add cubes to glass (4 for a 8 oz glass of limeade, 2 with booze and a splash of fizz for a cocktail) and pour in liquid of choice (or dump the lot in a pitcher and mix for a crowd).
- * I tend to buy a large quantity of limes and juice them and freeze them. 6 ounces came from about 8 cubes. I use a juicer for the ginger, but when my juicer was not working, I chopped it finely in a food processor and squeezed it through cheesecloth. Some stores also sell bottled ginger juice. One large cucumber yielded about a cup of juice which I also did in a juicer- but you could blend/strain for the same results.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Daytime Drinks
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Fresh Herbs
Too Many Cooks: Who Has Changed the Way You Cook?
Let's talk game changers and influencers.
Shop Spring Cleaning
Simple, Springy Leek Soup
The Best Cinnamon Rolls
10 Cozy Finger Foods