If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Soft and chewy is the only way to go with sugar cookies, and this one definitely fits the bill. The pink peppercorn and dash of spices give the cookies a warm glow that pairs rather nicely with the turbinado sugar crust on the outside. Side note: you can crush the pepper in a mortar and pestle or peppermill, or just put them in a ziploc bag and bash them with a heavy pot :) —arielleclementine
Food52 Review: In the interest of full disclosure, I must admit that I have never been a big sugar cookie fan. Stick an array of cookies in front of me and I'll go for the chocolate chip every time; however, since first seeing this recipe, I've been intrigued by the inclusion of pink peppercorns. I mixed up a batch tonight and I was sold from the first lick of the bowl. They were cinch to put together even though I didn't realize until halfway through that I was missing two ingredients -- the ground cardamom and turbinado. For the cardamom, I just crushed a few whole pods, removed the seeds, and whacked them with my meat pounder, Amanda style. In lieu of the turbinado, I just sprinkled with regular cane sugar but I'm sure the crunch provided by turbinado would have been better. As I settled on the couch with a cookie and a glass of milk, my husband snatched half of the cookie out of my hand. After the first bite, he was off the couch and headed to the kitchen to grab his own, while stating "These are great. Not too sweet and not too much cinnamon." I agree wholeheartedly. These are sugar cookies for grown-ups with just the right mix of sugar and spice. - melissav —The Editors
Serves 3 dozen cookies
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed pink peppercorn
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup lightly packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks), soft, but still a bit cool
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- turbinado sugar, for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium-sized bowl, stir flour, baking soda, salt, crushed pink pepper, cinnamon, cardamom, and allspice until well combined.
- Combine sugars and softened butter in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium speed until light and fluffy, 2 minutes. Mix in eggs one at a time, and then turn the mixer to low. Gradually add flour mixture and mix until combined.
- Drop rounded tablespoons of dough about 2 inches apart onto parchment paper lined cookie sheets. Flatten cookies with a wet hand, and then sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
- Bake cookies until the edges become lightly golden, 10-12 minutes. Cool on a wire rack and enjoy!
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chewy Sugar Cookie
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Holiday Cookie
What to Watch (and Cook to) on Netflix
Eat this from the comfort of your couch
What to watch (and cook to) on Netflix.
Why you should be drinking tequila.
It's time to travel.
Hone and design links we love.
Off to market.