If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My cousin gave me this recipe. Though extremely simple, it is the best way that I've found to cook a ham. The Port improves and opens the flavor of the ham. - SallyCan
Serves 10 - 12
- 1 8 -10 lb. ham, shank or butt. I prefer an uncooked ham, rather than a heat and serve ham.
- 11/2 cups Tawny Port Wine
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 - 2/3 cups brown sugar (dark or light)
- Cut excess fat from ham and score, if you like.
- Marinate the ham in the Port Wine, refrigerated, for at least three hours or overnight.
- Bring ham to room temperature. Remove ham from marinade, reserve liquid, and pat ham dry. Brush honey on ham, and then pack all around with brown sugar. Place ham in roasting pan, and pour reserved liquid in bottom of pan.
- Bake, covered, at 375 for 1 hour. Remove cover, and continue to cook for about 1/2 hour, basting as necessary to develop a nice glaze. Allow to rest for 10 min before serving.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Baked Ham