If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My uncle tends a wonderful organic garden and left me with a pile of beets. As the hummus king of the family, I decided to try beets with hummus for my grandma's 90th birthday party. Our family has strong Mediterranean roots and I knew they would be skeptical, but the creamy sweet and spicy dip was impossibly delicious hard to resist. Just a beautiful,easy and economic dip! —salem
- 15 ounces Chick Peas, in can with water
- 1 pound Beets
- 1 tablespoon Honey
- 1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Lemon, juiced with Zest
- 1 piece Garlic, rough chop
- 2 ounces Queso Fresco, crumbled
- 2 ounces Aged Sharp Cheddar, crumbled
- 1 handful Basil, chiffinade
- 2 pieces Green Onion, sliced thin
- 1 piece Serrano Pepper, sliced with seeds
- 1/4 cup White Vinegar
- Sea Salt & Pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Trim stems off beets. Place on sheet of aluminum foil. Pour generous amount of olive oil and wrap. Then wrap tightly with a second sheet of foil. Bake for 45-60 minutes, until beets are fork tender. Remove from oven, unwrap and let cool. Peel skins off beets.
- Bring chick peas to a simmer for 8 minutes. Remove from heat, cover to keep warm. Reserve water from pot.
- Add Tahini, Garlic, Vinegar, Lemon Juice with Zest, Serrano Pepper, Honey and Beets to food processor. Process for 1 minute. Add chick peas and half of the reserved water. Process for 1 more minute. Drizzle half of the olive oil as you go. You are looking for a sour cream smoothness and texture. It should not look too grainy or chunky. Don't be afraid to let the processor or blender run for 2 minutes. Add more water as necessary. Taste and add Salt and Pepper. Season to your liking.
- Pour hummus on to a shallow plate. Top with both cheeses, basil and onion. Drizzle with Olive Oil.
- Great with toasted pita bread or tortilla chips.
In Queso Were Wondering
Cashews are the mvp of vegan ingredients
This queso is nuts.
Keep your bubbly bubbly.
Alice Waters's favorite tools.
Our guide to the Eastern Shore.
Get your shine on.