If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This dessert risotto includes elements from a traditional Sicilian Dolce di Castagne e Riso (Chestnuts), fragranceg with kumquat skins, vanilla caviar and crushed cardamom seeds.....enough to warm anyone up on a cold winter night! (I've also made this and baked it in a pie case - fantastic!) —Kitchen Butterfly
- 55g butter
- Seeds of 2 vanilla pods (or 2 teaspoons vanilla extract)
- Seeds of 8 - 10 cardamoms, crushed or 1/2 - 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 50g cooked/roasted chestnuts (about 10 nuts), chopped
- 325g risotto rice (I used Arborio)
- 5 tablespoons caster sugar
- 12 kumquats skins , sliced into strips (or zest of 2 medium oranges)
- 1 wineglass of white whine
- 1 liter milk
- Icing sugar , to serve
- In a high-sided pot or pan, melt the butter on low heat. Add the vanilla caviar (seeds) and the cardamom seeds to the melted butter, stirring to loosen up. If using vanilla extract, add it in step 3, along with the white wine. Allow it cook for 1 minute.
- Add the chopped chestnuts and let cook for a further minute. Then add rice to the pan, along with caster sugar and the kumquat strips (or orange zest).
- Turn the heat to medium and add the white wine (and vanilla extract, if using), stirring until the wine has almost cooked away (about 3 minutes)
- Slowly add the milk while continuing to stir the rice and simmer the mixture over low heat, stirring often, for about 15 – 20 minutes. If you've used up all the milk, add a bit more and cook till the rice is soft and creamy.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Citrus Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Cardamom
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Non-Pie Thanksgiving Dessert
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Amanda and Merrill's Best Rice Pudding
In Queso Were Wondering
Cashews are the mvp of vegan ingredients
This queso is nuts.
Keep your bubbly bubbly.
Alice Waters's favorite tools.
Our guide to the Eastern Shore.
Get your shine on.