Author Notes: This is another of Jeanne D'Souza's recipes. It's a great time of year to make this, with green beans in season right now. It's simple to make and is a great way to make the basic green bean seem way more interesting. - Cherry Bombe
- 1 pound fresh string beans, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon whole black mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger root, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 1 to 2 whole dried red chilies, not crushed
- 1 to 2 tablespoon unsweetened coconut flakes
- Salt to taste
- Steam the beans in a strainer over boiling water. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the mustard seeds and cook for a minute or so until they stop popping. Add the ginger, garlic and red chili pepper. Stir for 1 minute until nicely coated. Add the beans and mix until they glisten. Add coconut flakes and salt to taste.