Author Notes: My mother has been making these for our annual Jingle Bells party for about 50 years. (My family lives in New Orleans, we're Jewish, and we have a party every year on Christmas day.) The recipe came from Woman's Day Kitchen, December , 1956. My mother uses less than the full 2 cups of finely chopped pecans, but this is the original recipe. - drbabs
Serves about 5 dozen small cookies
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups sifted flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 cups finely chopped pecans
- 60 pecan halves for decorating the cookies
- Cream butter and sugar till light and fluffy.
- Add flour, vanilla, water, and finely chopped pecans, and mix well.
- Chill till firm.
- Form dough into balls about 1 inch in diameter.
- Place balls on cookie sheet (not too close together), flatten, and top with pecan half.
- Bake at 325 for about 20 minutes or until lightly browned and firm.