Author Notes: This salad is more of an idea than a recipe. I hate measuring, which is why I generally don't post recipes on the site. But I was so pleased with this simple yet delightful combination of flavors that I figured I'd share--if only to inspire others to create their own fresh take on this summer side. I served the corn salad with halibut, but I'm sure it would taste great with trout and almost any other white fish or protein, or taco, for that matter. All measurements are approximated as is the serving size. I wouldn't worry, though. This salad would be very hard to mess up if you use the guidelines I've provided below. Enjoy. - ATG117
- 4-5 Cobs of Corn
- 2 Avocados (cubed)
- 2 Champagne Mangoes (cubed)
- 1/4 cup Finely Diced Red Onion
- 1 Lemon (halved--to be used for juice)
- 1 splash Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- pinches Kosher Salt
- pinches Black Pepper (freshly ground)
- 1 handful Parsley (optional)
- Finely dice your onion, sprinkle with salt, and coat with lemon juice. (I find that adding acid and salt to the onion takes away some of its aggressive bite.) Set the onion to the side. Now, remove the corn from the cobs, add them to your bowl, and sprinkle with salt. Cube the avocados, squeeze lemon juice over the cubes (to add flavor and prevent them from browning), sprinkle with salt, and add them to your corn. Cube and add your mangoes as well. Finally, toss the onions you set aside into the mix.
- Believe it or not, you're basically done. Give your lemon an additional squeeze, add a splash of EVOO to bring your ingredients together, and generously grind some fresh black pepper over the top. Mix all the ingredients together, taste and adjust your salt, pepper, and lemon juice as needed. I like this salad to have a prominent lemon tang. Add parsley before serving if desired.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Avocados
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Portable Side