If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A thick curry served in a quarter, half, or full loaf of bread. South Africa's answer to the hot dog. (Adapted from the Travel Bite Blog) —Madeline Grimes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 large white onions
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped ginger
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 3 tablespoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or more to taste)
- 2 teaspoons tumeric
- 2 ground cardamom pods
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 2 cups carrots, diced
- 2 cups potatoes, cubed
- 2 large, boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1-2 cups chicken stock or water
- 2 unsliced loaves of crusty white bread, each cut across in half in the middle and most of inside hollowed out like a bread bowl
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and sauté the cinnamon and bay leaves until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add the onions and fry until they are almost translucent. Add garlic, ginger, and all of the remaining spices and cook another 1-2 minutes.
- Add the carrots, potatoes, chicken, and stock or water. Stir and bring to a low simmer. Cook and cover for about 30 minutes until chicken is tender, stirring occasionally. Remove the bay leaves and cinnamon stick.
- Spoon the curry inside the bread.
Make 3-ingredient frozen yogurt at home
Never buy frozen yogurt again.
Did you say vacation or cocktail?
Know (and shop) the basics.
The invincible beer can chicken.
The chicest apron around.