If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This no-cook tomato sauce was a go-to light summer dinner or side dish with burgers, steaks, fish.. anything! The recipe came from my mom in the mid-80s or 90s - who knows from where! It's been a staple on my summer table ever since! —Meredith
Makes a huge bowl full of delicious!
- 4-5 pounds Fresh Tomatoes - I use the best heirlooms at the height of the summer
- 1 Wheel or Big Slice of Good Quality Brie
- 2-4 Cloves of Garlic - Crushed or Well-Chopped
- 1 bunch Fresh Basil
- Salt, Fresh Ground Pepper & Red Pepper Flakes to Taste
- 1 cup Fresh Grated Parmesan Reggiano
- splashes Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1 pound Good-Quality Linguine or Other Long, Flat Pasta Noodle
- 1/2 - 3/4 cups Extra Virgin Olive Oil - The Good One!
- Chop tomatoes into 1/2 inch dice. Add to large bowl.
- Crush or mince garlic. Add to small, microwavable bowl and top with olive oil. Microwave for about 1 to 1.5 minutes. Carefully, pour garlic and oil over tomatoes.
- Rough-chop fresh basil. Add to bowl of tomatoes and garlic.
- Cut rind completely off of the brie (it helps to keep it very cold before doing this). Dice the 'meat' of the brie and add to the bowl over the tomatoes, separating any large chunks of brie.
- Add 1/2C to 3/4C olive oil to the tomato mixture. You can always add more later, depending on how juicy the tomatoes are.
- Add about 1-2t salt to the tomato mixture, to taste, with fresh ground black pepper and red pepper flakes, to taste.
- Mix all together, cover with plastic wrap, and let marinate on the counter for as long as possible - doing it in the morning & serving it for dinner is best!
- Just before serving (if you want it hot - or anytime if you're serving it room-temperature), boil a large pot full of water and cook pasta according to the package instructions.
- When the pasta is cooked, drain and add to the large bowl of the marinated tomato mixture. Mix well. Add 1/2C grated Parmesan & a squeeze of fresh lemon juice. Mix well. Taste for salt & pepper. Add lemon, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes as needed.
- Top with more fresh chopped basil and Parmesan. Serve hot or at room temperature as a side dish or main dish with some fresh french bread or crostini! Enjoy!
Your search for the best recipe is over
The best donuts—ever.
Learning to love fruit with chocolate.
We've got the summer blues.
How we do a Genius dinner party for 30.
A better basket.