If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Corn and tomatoes are staples in my late summer kitchen. I can never get enough of either. I developed this recipe for Perfect Picnics for All Seasons, a cookbook I wrote back in the 90’s. The time-honored pairing of sweet corn and tangy tomatoes is classic and as good today as it was twenty years ago.
Shallots, garlic and fresh herbs further enhance the flavors of the main ingredients. And this go-to side is perfect alongside picnic chicken, fish, steak and shellfish and even saucing a pasta salad. It packs perfectly and leftovers are great way to sauce a pasta salad. - Gail Monaghan
Summer Corn and Tomato Salad
- 1 1/2 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, quartered lengthwise
- 1/3 cup oil packed sun-dried tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 12 ears of corn, boiled and corn kernels cut off the cob
- 3/4 cups extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons oil from the sun-dried tomoatoes
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely minced
- 4 large shallots, peeled and minced or thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons minced chives or scallions
- 6 tablespoons julienned fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt or to taste
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- several drops Tobasco sauce
- To make the salad, toss the tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes, and corn kernels together in a large salad bowl.
- Add the dressing and toss again. You can make this salad up to a day in advance. Cover and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature before serving.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Portable Side