Author Notes: This gluten-free and vegan salad is stock full of plant-based calcium with tofu, and sesame. Its great made ahead so it can marinate and soak up all the flavors. - Poppies and Papayas
Food52 Review: WHO: Poppies and Papayas is a health enthusiast, future dietician, and photographer.
WHAT: Everything you want to eat right now -- all in one bowl.
HOW: Marinate your tofu, bake it, then toss it with soba noodles, cabbage, kale, carrots, broccoli, and a soy-citrus dressing.
WHY WE LOVE IT: This salad is something we could happily eat every day -- with gusto. Plus, we love that the marinade is perked up for the dressing -- you won't want to waste any of its soy-ginger-garlic goodness. We'll be making this all year long. - A&M
For the Tofu + Marinade:
- 1/8 cup orange juice
- 1/8 cup tamari
- 1/8 cup toasted sesame oil
- 1/8 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon finely grated ginger
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 package extra firm tofu
- Preparing the Tofu + Marinade: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. In a bowl mix together orange juice, tamari, sesame oil, olive oil, ginger, garlic, maple syrup, and cayenne and set aside. Cut the tofu into 1-inch cubes and place into a small baking pan without overlapping. Pour the marinade over the tofu. Put the tofu into the oven and bake for 15 minutes, stir, and bake for 15 minutes more until browned. With a slotted spoon, scoop out the tofu and place onto a plate and allow to cool. Pour the remaining marinade into a bowl and set aside.
For the Salad:
- Leftover marinade
- Zest of 1 lime
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1/8 cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- Sea salt to taste
- 1/2 package Eden Buckwheat Soba Noodles
- 1 stalk broccoli, florets only
- 1 large carrot, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 1 1/2 cup lacinato kale, de-ribbed and cut into ribbons
- 1/2 cup green cabbage, shredded
- 1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
- 8 basil leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
- Preparing the Thai citrus vinaigrette: Add the lemon zest and juice to the remaining marinade. Continue to add the orange juice, rice vinegar, maple syrup, and sea salt to taste. Set aside.
- Preparing the salad: Cook the soba noodles as described on the package, rinse with cold water and set aside. Meanwhile, bring a small pot of water to a boil, and blanch the broccoli florets for 30 seconds. Immediately strain the florets and rinse with cold water. Put the blanched broccoli florets, carrot, kale, cabbage, cilantro, basil, and sesame seeds into a large bowl and toss. Dress the salad with the Thai citrus vinaigrette.
- Serve the salad topped with baked tofu and garnished with sesame seeds.
- This recipe is a Wildcard Contest Winner!
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Portable Side