If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I first had this salad at the Hotel Sofia in Sofia, Bulgaria a long, long time ago when Bulgaria was under Communist rule and no one in the country could (or would) give an American change when purchasing any sort of item. You had to make sure that you carried around small bills and a lot of coin in order not to get stiffed. This salad, however, certainly made the trip worthwhile. Very simple with fresh ingredients, it's a staple in Bulgaria and surrounding regions. Similar to Horiatiki, it distinguishes itself with a shower of finely crumbled Bulgarian feta instead of slices or cubes. - inpatskitchen
Makes about 4 side servings
- 1 long, thin English cucumber
- 1/2 of a large red onion
- 1/2 of a large green bell pepper
- 2 large, very ripe plum tomatoes
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup finely crumbled Bulgarian feta cheese
- Half peel the cucumber by paring every 1/4 inch or so to create a striped pattern and then slice it into 1/2 inch rounds. Toss them into a medium mixing bowl.
- Chop the onion and bell pepper into a 1/2 inch dice and add them to the bowl.
- Seed the plum tomatoes and dice and add them to the bowl along with the olives and parsley.
- Whisk the oil and vinegar together and add it to the mix. Toss the vegetables untill they are coated with the dressing. Taste and add salt and pepper as needed.
- Now place the salad into an appropriate size serving bowl and shower the top with the feta. Chill before serving.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Portable Side
Seven of the best things we read this week.
It's Snack Time
Whiskey Peach Smash
Wedding registry must haves.
Wildcard Winner Recap