If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A thicker version for a great lentil soups, that makes it really rich, healthy and great for one pot dinner great for a cold weather. Quinoa is much better for you than noodles. Just add green salad on the side (though it kind of included by adding the spinach to the soup). Make it as thick as you want, I like it like a stew. Also try it with dark greens instead of the spinach. —Cordelia
- 1 cup of black French lentils (you can use also regular green ones, though the black get less mushy)
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 bunch of fresh spinach (about 3 cups or about half a package of frozen spinach, thawed)
- 2 small onions cut to small dice
- 4 medium carrots cut to small dice
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of ground cumin
- Juice from half a lemon
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups of water
- Salt and pepper
- Put the onion in a big pot with the olive oil and a bit of salt on medium low heat and sweat for about 10 minutes without browning.
- Add the carrots and sauté for another 10 minutes. The veggies should become soft and sweet.
- Add garlic, cumin and lentils and sauté for a minute while mixing.
- Add the broth and the water, bring to a boil, lower the heat and cook for 30 minutes. Add the quinoa and salt and pepper, bring to a boil, lower the heat and cook for another 15 minutes until the quinoa is soft and kind of translucent. Check from time to time if the soup looks to think for your liking you can add 1/2 cup of water (though it suppose to be a thick soup, like a stew).
- Lightly chop the spinach if you're not using baby spinach. Add to the pot and cook for few more minutes and take off the heat and add the lemon and taste for salt and pepper, add if necessary.
- You can serve with a drizzle of good sharp olive oil and Parmesan.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Lentils
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Beans
Toppings That Are out of the Park
How to make one haute dog
Out of the park toppings.
Life's a beach.
It's time to travel.
Food blog links we love.
Put cake on a pedestal.