Author Notes: This recipe is absolutely rich and delicious but so simple to make. It can be made ahead and it can sit for an hour and it can hang out at room temp for as long as the party lasts. I've also had it as leftovers.
I will not lie this recipe is an overhaul of a Silver Palate classic. I honestly believe my version is better but they invented this amazing combo. I have greatly modified it but they should get the credit. It is so fabulous and really should only be made when basil and tomoatoes are at their peak.
- 4-6 Ripe Tomatoes, cut into small cubes
- 1/2 cup Olive oil
- 1 cup Basil Leaves
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Pepper
- 4 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 Large chunk Brie cheese (3/4-1lb)
- 1 pound Cavatelli, small penne or other small pasta shape
- Salt for cooking pasta
- At least 4 hours before serving: Combine, tomatoes, S&P, olive oil and garlic in a very large bowl. Cut off the rind of the Brie, if there's some left don't worry about it. Cut into small cubes and add to tomato mixture. Cut the dry basil leaves (chiffonade) into thin strips and add. Let the ingredients marry and marinate for at least 4 hours.
- Cook pasta according to directions. Drain and pour over tomato mixture. Allow the hot pasta to wilt and "cook" the fresh ingredients. You are now ready to serve! (Top with Parmesan if desired)
- This recipe was entered in the contest for A&M Smackdown / Your Best Tomato Recipe