If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This "recipe"--more a guideline--came about as a way to get dinner on the table without fuss, and is an example of my exploration of roasting any and every kind of vegetable. The sweet flavor of best-quality late-summer tomatoes is concentrated and enriched by putting in a fairly hot oven and keeping it there till nicely browned. You can vary the quantities as you like. Not much more to be said--it's yummy, addictive and very popular around here. - creamtea
- drizzle of olive oil
- 2 pounds cherry or grape tomatoes, washed and drained, left whole
- 2 heads garlic
- pinches kosher salt
- fresh herb such as parsley or basil, minced
- toasted baguette slices as an accompaniment
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Take a pyrex or roasting pan large enough to hold all of the tomatoes and drizzle generously with olive oil. You can use 2 pans if you don't have one large enough. Slice tops of of heads of garlic.
- Place tomatoes in the pan and shake a bit to coat tomatoes with oil. Sprinkle generously with salt. Nestle heads of garlic, cut side down for best browning, amongst tomatoes.
- Roast in oven until browned and wrinkled, and some are collapsing, and some are browned in spots. Poke garlic with a small sharp knife through center-it should be tender.
- Squeeze heads of garlic over tomatoes to extract cloves. If desired, take a potato masher and mash some of the tomatoes. Beware of projectile seeds and hot splurting pulp!
- Toss tomatoes and garlic together. Scoop onto toasted baguette, halved horizontally and portioned into 3 to 4-inch slices and sprinkle with herbs.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipes with 5 Ingredients or Fewer
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Sandwich Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Weekday Breakfast Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Hors d'Oeuvre
- This recipe was entered in the contest for A&M Smackdown / Your Best Tomato Recipe
Dumplings, No Recipe Required
Dumplings for one, dumplings for all.
Shop Spring Cleaning
Gluten-Free Strawberry Tart
Eclectic Truffle Chocolate Bars
Cuban-inspired recipes to cook now.