Author Notes: An unusual pairing of lentils, peaches, and plums makes for a delicious and fresh summer salad that is both gluten free and vegan. - Courtney
- 1 cup lentils
- 2 cups water
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 1/2 to 2 cup diced stone fruits (peaches, plums, etc.)
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped toasted almonds
- 1 small red onion, minced
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped lemon thyme leaves
- 1 large handful baby spinach leaves, finely chopped
- 1 splash apple cider vinegar
- juice of 1/2 a small lemon
- 1-2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Rinse the lentils and combine them with the water and a pinch of salt in a pot over medium high heat. Bring the water to a boil, then lower it to a simmer and cook the lentils (uncovered) for about 15 to 20 minutes until they are cooked through, but still have a bit of bite to them. Drain the lentils, rinse them under cold water, then set them aside to continue draining until you need them.
- In a large bowl, toss together the lentils with the cider vinegar, lemon juice, olive oil (if using), and a good pinch of salt. Add in the remaining ingredients and toss to combine. Taste for seasoning and adjust if necessary. Makes 4 to 6 servings.