If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I adore pastry…sweet or savoury…hot or cold, as far as I am concerned you can wrap almost anything in tender flaky pastry and it will taste awesome! For this delicious tomato tart recipe I used sweet and juicy campari tomatoes and fontina cheese. —The Cautious Vegetarian
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable shorteing, cold
- 3 - 4 tablespoons ice-cold water
- 6 campari tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large fennel bulb, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 egg
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup grated fontina cheese
- In a large bowl combine the flour and salt. Cut in the shortening with a pastry blender until it is the size of small peas. Sprinkle in the water, tossing with a fork just until the pastry holds together. Don’t over mix it. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Cut the tomatoes in half and place on a small baking sheet. Drizzle with the oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside
- Heat the 2 Tbsp of olive oil in a medium sauté pan (I use my cast iron skillet) over medium high heat. Add the fennel and onion and a pinch of salt. Sauté until the vegetables start to get tender, about 3 minutes. Reduce heat to medium low and cook, stirring occasionally until vegetables are caramelized, about 15 to 20 minutes longer. Add the thyme and remove from the pan. Check for seasonings. Set aside.
- In a small bowl beat the egg and cream together.
- Increase oven temperature to 425 F. Roll out the pastry into a 12 inch circle. Lay it in a shallow 10 inch tart pan. I don’t trim off the overhang; I like a thick crust on the sides so I fold it over and press it in. Spread the fennel/onion mixture over the crust, top with the tomatoes. Sprinkle with the grated cheese. Pour in the egg cream mixture. Bake for 10 minutes, reduce the oven temperature to 350 F and continue baking until set, about 20 to 25 minutes longer.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for A&M Smackdown / Your Best Tomato Recipe
Welcome to Funky Town
How to make kimchi—without a recipe
Make kimchi—without a recipe.
Did you say vacation or cocktail?
Know (and shop) the basics.
Eat cookies for breakfast.
The chicest apron around.