If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: For me, there is truly only one sandwich that embodies the essence of summer, picnics, and everything simple and wonderful about the season -- the much talked about, much loved Tomato and Mayonnaise Sandwich. This recipe pays homage to the Tomato - my seasonal icon, with our own take on the classic. We add a semi-controversial lettuce leaf for texture, and, though regular Mayo works really well (Hellman's full-fat, please!), we take ours up a notch with lots of finely minced Parsley and a touch of Oregano from my garden and, here's the topper - a game-changing sprinkle of Lemon Zest. Make this satisfying sandwich and extend your summer that much longer.
The Must Haves:
Super Ripe Beefsteak Tomatoes - luckily, they're at peak season and everywhere
Good Quality Mayo
A Hint of Salt (we prefer Kosher Salt or Sea Salt)
Black Pepper - lots
Good Quality Toasted White Bread - I know, I know, but if ever you should return to White Bread, it's here.
For more, click here - http://www.neurotickitchen.com/2013/08/the-essence-of-summer-tomato-and-herbed.html - Neurotic Kitchenista
For the Zesty Herb Mayo
- 2 tablespoons Italian Parsley, very finely minced
- 1 Oregano, very finely minced
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- 1/4 cup Good Quality Mayonnaise - we prefer Hellman's
For the Sandwich
- 4 Slices of Toasted White Bread
- 1 Ripe Beefsteak Tomato sliced into 1/4 inch thick rounds
- 2-4 Leaves of Oak Leaf Lettuce
- Kosher Salt or Sea Salt Lots of Black Pepper
- Spread one side of the bread with a generous amount of Herb Mayonnaise. On the other piece of Bread, lay down a Lettuce Leaf and two or more slices of Tomato. Sprinkle Tomato with a good dose of Salt and lots of Black Pepper. Place the Mayonnaise half on top and close up the sandwich. Enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for A&M Smackdown / Your Best Tomato Recipe
It's Time to Rhyme
The staff at Food52 give us their best haikus.
Do you haiku?
It's Snack Time
Whiskey Peach Smash
Shop Spring Cleaning
Bake yourself breakfast.