Author Notes: This is my new favourite cake. Bananas make it rich, blueberries give flavour and almonds have the crunch. - 17years
- 1/2 cup butter, cold and cubed
- 1 3/4 cup self-raising flour
- 1 scant cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup blanched almonds, chopped
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 2 1/4 cups ripe banana, mashed
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- Heat the oven to 320°F (160°C).
- Grease and line the base of a 9 inch springform cake tin.
- Mix the baking powder, salt and mixed spice thoroughly into the flour, then rub in the butter.
- Mix in the sugar and almonds, then add and beat in the banana and eggs.
- Put the mixture into the tin and scatter the blueberries on top. Carefully push them under the mixture so that they stew in the cake rather than toasting on top.
- Cook for 1 1/4 hours, until a skewer inserted in the middle of the cake can be removed completely dry. It is near impossible to overcook this cake.
- Allow to cool completely before removing from tin.