Author Notes: This recipe is adapted from Killer Quinoa Salad on Oprah.com, with some tweaks of my own. It has become a dinner staple, even my meat and potatoes husband loves it. - riv
- Finely grated zest and juice of 1 large lemon
- 3 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- whisk or shake together dressing ingredients and set aside.
- 1 cup Red or White quinoa, rinsed well
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups cold water
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 2 ripe avocadoes, diced
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper, diced
- 2 scallions or red onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup toasted sunflower seeds
- In a saucepan, combine quinoa, salt and cold water; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Stir, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for about 15 minutes or until water is absorbed and quinoa is tender. Drain if necessary. Fluff with a fork and allow to cool.
- Add remaining salad ingredients to quinoa and toss with dressing to coat. Can be served room temperature or cold. Can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 1 day.