If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: An Update on Classic Comfort Food the creamy, cheesy taste we remember from this childhood favorite, our hope is that you are encouraged to toss the box and soup can once and for all and feel really good about making this dish new again. —Susan E. Levy
- 4 ounces whole-wheat pasta such as fusilli or bow tie
- 1 medium onion, chopped (approx. 1?2 cup)
- 1 cup broccoli florets (about 1” in diameter)
- ¼ cups nonfat milk
- ¼ cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon each cornstarch and whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons shredded low-sodium cheddar cheese
- 5 ounces can tuna (in water), drained
- 2 sardines, drained and chopped
- ¼ cups black olives, pitted and sliced
- Pre-heat oven to 350. Cook pasta in 2 cups water until tender – drain and let cool, retaining water.
- Sauté onion, 2 mushrooms and broccoli in 2 tablespoons pasta water until onions are transparent and lightly browned, approx. 5 minutes. If necessary, add 2-3 more tablespoons of the pasta water. Set aside to cool.
- Finely chop the remaining mushroom and lightly sauté in 1 tablespoon pasta water until water evaporates, about 2 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, chicken broth, cornstarch, whole-wheat flour and oregano. Then, add to sautéed mushroom. Simmer until thickened and then thin with the remaining pasta water until it has the consis- tency of gravy.
- Place the noodles, tuna, sardines, olives, vegetable mixture and cheese (except 2 tablespoons), in a large bowl. Toss thoroughly. Add mushroom sauce and mix again. Place in oiled 8- inch square baking dish. Top with remaining cheddar cheese and bake for 30 minutes. Serve.
Get Baking This Labor Day
These recipes are worth a little kitchen labor
Get baking this Labor Day.
Make these recipes before it's too late.
Meet 2015's best sellers.
Our staff's best storage tips.
Storage made crystal clear.