If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I have been testing recipes recipes for months for various types of veggie burgers. I used to buy them but then I really read the ingredient list and that made me put them right back in the freezer case. Most veggie burgers (except for a few brands) are not vegan and use eggs or egg whites to bind them together. An alarming amount of them also use TVP (texturized vegetable protein) and/or soy crumbles that show up in many vegetarian “meatless” but “meatlike” substances along with some other questionable ingredients. I wanted a purely vegetable/legume and vegan burger that was moist and tasty (who doesn’t want that in a burger?) while also still holding together when cooking. These fit the bill on all counts! - testkitchenette
Black Bean Burger Buns
- 1 15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup sundried tomatoes, packed
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch mixed with 2 teaspoons water
- 1/2 cup raw pumpkin seeds, shelled
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs/panko
- 1/2 onion, roughly chopped
- 1/2 red pepper, seeded and roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- teaspoons chipotle hot sauce (more/less to your taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (more to taste)
- few grinds of fresh black pepper
- Use your food processor for this part and add all of the above ingredients and pulse until crumbly but not pureed.
- If it seems really wet, add some more bread crumbs. Taste and season for salt and pepper.
- Form into 4 patties. Heat a non-stick skillet over medium high heat with some olive oil. Cook two patties at a time and flip after about 5 minutes to the other side. Remove from skillet and drain excess oil on paper towels. Cool for 5 minutes and split burgers in half with a bread knife (or other serrated knife). Stufff the inside with avocado mango salsa.
Avocado Mango Salsa
- 1 avocado, peeled and mashed
- mango, peeeled and chopped
- juice and zest of 1 lime
- 2 handfuls grape/cherry/mini heirloom tomatoes, quartered
- 1 scant handful cilantro, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine all in a bowl.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Beans