Author Notes: A spicy plant based version of the Mexican restaurant classic - Alexandra V. Jones
- 1 pound tomatillos, husked and diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 3 jalapeno or serrano chilies, diced
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 2 clove garlic, smashed
- 1 bunch kale, roughly chopped
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- salt to taste
- In a medium sauce pan, add tomatillos, tomatoes, onion, chilies, ½ the cilantro, garlic, carrots and celery with the vegetable stock.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium low, cook 15 minutes, then blend half of this in a blender or use a stick blender, be sure to leave a little texture.
- Add Kale, and beans, cook 15 more minutes, add the rest of the cilantro and serve over rice or with tortillas! Ole’ frijole!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dark, Leafy Greens
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Spicy Recipe