If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I've been making this recipe for a few years now, basically an amalgam of chili recipes I have known and loved. This is truly a toss it all in type deal, but you can omit many of the ingredients except, IMHO, the beer, which gives the chili bite, and the spices and onions. Texans will be offended by the beans. Normal people would not add carrots; I do it because my husband likes them. I often use half the liquid recommended if I want a thicker brew. Another cheat is a can of fire roasted tomatoes, and no chili powder. I often make this with ground turkey meat only, and no sirloin at all. I know people who have made it into a vegetarian dish. Do as you like, and enjoy! - Jestei
- 1 to 2 tablespoons oil (i prefer olive veg is fine)
- 1 pound sirloin, cubed
- 1 pound ground meat (I prefer buffalo; turkey or beef fine)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 Bottle of beer (my choice is Fat Tire)
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup coffee (strong is best)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1/2 finely chopped chili of choice (i use seeded serrano)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon heaping of cumin
- 1 teaspoon heaping of coriander
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 15 ounce cans kidney beans
- 1 15 ounce cans white beans
- 5 large carrots, chopped into discs (OPTIONAL)
- In large stock pot or dutch oven, heat oil over med. flame and brown meat, sirloin chunks first then ground.
- When meat is lightly browned, throw on the onions.
- Take two large sips from the beer.
- Add remaining beer plus, tomatoes, coffee and tomato paste.
- Add sugar, spices and kidney beans. Reduce flame to low and let simmer for an hour.
- Add white beans and carrots simmer for another hour or two; longer will be better. Season as needed.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!