If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: While 'bean pie' may not sound delicious, it definitely tastes delicious! My mom (Mel) made this bean pie all the time when I was a kid, and I absolutely love it! It's like chili inside a pie-crust...so what's not to love!? I love mushrooms, so I use about 2 cups, and sometimes I sautee them in butter first (rather than cooking with the beef) for extra flavor, but to save time, either way works! —Loves Food Loves to Eat
For the Pie
- 1-2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 medium sized white onion- diced
- 2-3 garlic cloves- minced
- 1-2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup canned or stewed tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce (your choice, I like Tapatio)
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- salt and pepper to taste (about 1 teaspoon of each)
- 1 can kidney beans- rinsed and drained
- 1 can black or pinto beans- rinsed and drained
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- Pastry for double crust pie (just pick your favorite pie crust recipe)
For the Garnish
- sour cream
- shredded cheese
- black olives
- green onions
- Preheat oven to 425. In a skillet, cook beef, onion, mushrooms, and garlic until beef is browned, drain.
- In a large bowl, sour cream, milk, tomatoes (with their sauce), cornstarch, parsley, paprika, salt & pepper; mix well.
- Fold in beans, cheese, green onions and beef mixture.
- Line deep dish pie plate with pastry; fill with bean mixture. Top with remaining crust; seal and flute edges. Cut slits in the top crust.
- Bake for 30 –35 minutes or until lightly browned. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Garnish with sour cream, olives, salsa, cheese & onions.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Autumn Pie
- This recipe was entered in the contest for The Best Recipe or Technique Your Mother Taught You
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Beans
Our photographer's favorite shots from the Food52 Baking Cookbook
The best shots from the Food52 Baking Cookbook.
This queso is nuts.
Meet 2015's best sellers.
Keep your bubbly bubbly.
Get your shine on.