If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: You can almost smell the Mediterranean in this salad, with its fresh seafood, herbs, garlic, and sumac. The best way to serve it is as part of a meze selection, with rustic white bread to soak up the juices. - Yotam Ottolenghi
- 2 small fennel bulbs
- 1/2 red onion, very thinly sliced
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lime
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons chopped dill
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 mild chile, seeded and finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 tiger prawns
- 12 ounces cleaned baby squid
- 1 tablespoon sumac
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Coarse sea salt
- Pomegranate seeds for garnish (optional)
- Trim the bases and tops of the fennel bulbs, then slice crosswise as thinly as you can. A mandoline would be useful here. In a large bowl, mix the fennel and red onion with the lime zest and juice, garlic, dill, parsley, chile, 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Set aside.
- To prepare the prawns, peel the shells away from the bodies, keeping the tail segment of the shell on. Cut a swallow slit along the back of each prawn and use the tip of a small knife to remove the dark vein.
- Place a heavy cast-iron pan, preferably a ridged grill pan, over high heat and leave for a few minutes until piping hot. Meanwhile, mix the prawns and squid with the remaining 2 tablespoons oil and a pinch of salt. Grill them in small batches, turning them over after 1 minute and continuing until just done (about 1 more minute for the squid and 2 to 3 for the prawns). Transfer to a cutting board and slice the squid into thick rings. You can leave the prawns whole or cut them in half.
- Add the seafood to the salad bowl and toss together. You can serve the salad immediately or leave it in the fridge for up to 1 day. To serve, stir in the sumac and cilantro, then taste and adjust the seasoning. When pomegranate seeds are available, they make a beautiful garnish.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
How to Judge a Person by Their Ice Cream Choice
Are you a King Cone or a Klondike Bar?
Choose your ice cream wisely.
Brown butter Nutella skillet cookie.
Fire up the grill.
Festive Felt Barbecue Banners
Portable picnic snacks.