If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This pepper is my take on Giardiniera (closest to Chicago Style), but without all that pesky cauliflower, and with TONS of garlic! My family calls it 'Pepper Crack". It's seriously addictive. Seriously, you will forget how to eat pizza without it. Or eggs. Or guacamole....
I insist on doing all the chopping instead of buying pre-sliced olives, etc. It's a labor of love, but I think it looks so much better. I do buy the bulk pre-peeled garlic cloves though, which is a nice time-saver. —HeartBellyAndSoul
Makes about 2 quarts
- 1 pound Fresh Serrano Peppers (about 40 peppers)
- 2-3 Bulbs Garlic (about 20 cloves)
- 4 Celery Stalks
- 1/2 tablespoon Oregano (dried)
- 1.5 cups Canola Oil
- 1.5 cups Vinegar (white, cider or combo)
- 6 cups Water
- 1/2 cup Kosher Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper (ground)
- Rinse peppers, and cut into slices about 1/4 inch thick, removing and tossing out the stems. Dice celery (pretty small). In a large (non-metal) bowl, dissolve 1/2 cup Kosher salt into 2 cups warm water. Add the peppers and celery to the salted water, and then top off with additional water as necessary to cover the peppers. Refrigerate the peppers overnight.
- After the peppers have brined overnight, rinse and drain the peppers and return to the large bowl. (I rinse a couple of times, shaking out some of the seeds.) Chop the garlic (I like not too small pieces - about 1/4 inch), slice the olives, and add into the bowl with the peppers. Add the Oregano and 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper. Then add about 1/4 cup of the oil and stir to mix well. Transfer the mixture into jars, and then top off with vinegar and oil. (Fill about half-way or a little more with oil, then top off with vinegar until the liquid is to the level of the peppers.)
- Let the pepper mix sit for 2-3 days before serving, stirring or gently shaking occasionally. Note that this is not canned, so refrigerate and use up with about 2 weeks.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Spicy Recipe
Toppings That Are out of the Park
How to make one haute dog
Hot dogs made better.
Your poolside essentials.
Praise for the small space.