If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A faster, cooler, and cleaner way to cook eggplant -- in the microwave. It's also the best tasting one we tested. The flesh sort of crinkles up and the sweet flavors concentrate. It's soft but not flimsy; aggressively flavored but still tasting of itself. Recipe adapted slightly from The New York Times (July 8, 1992). Note: In today's high-powered microwave ovens, the plastic wrap might melt in spots, but the eggplant will still cook beautifully. If you're concerned about this, see here for information about choosing a microwave-safe brand. —Genius Recipes
- 1/4 cup tamari or soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons loosely packed cilantro leaves
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 1/2 medium-size cloves garlic
- 3/8 ounce fresh peeled ginger (a 1-by- 1/4-inch piece), cut crosswise into 1/4-inch slices
- 4 small Chinese eggplants (2 to 3 ounces each)
- Combine all ingredients, except eggplants, in a blender. Process until smooth.
- Prick the eggplants several times with a fork and pull off the leaves. Cut in half lengthwise. On the open side of each half, make three deep diagonal slashes in each direction. Place eggplants skin side down in a 13-by-9-by-2-inch microwave-safe oval dish.
- Spoon 1 1/2 teaspoons of the marinade over each eggplant half. Rub the marinade into the flesh so that it runs into the cuts. Turn eggplants skin side up. Pour remaining marinade into dish. Let stand for 45 minutes.
- Turn eggplants skin side down. Cover tightly with lid or microwave plastic wrap. Cook at 100 percent power in a high-power oven for 10 minutes. Prick plastic to release steam.
- Remove from microwave and uncover. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
Cool Ice Cream Tips
They'll change the way you cook—er, churn
The coolest ice cream tips.
The zucchini spaghetti of Italy.
Savor the season.
Tennessee whiskey is the tops.
Orange you sweet.