If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Galbi Jjim, AKA braised beef short rib stew, is a Korean traditional cuisine eaten during the Korean harvest festival, known as Chuseok. Growing up, my grandmother made this delicious beef short rib dish every fall around the time of Chuseok, filled with sweet mixture of dried jujubes, pine nuts, Asian pear, and carrots!! After two years of marriage, I finally decided to make this dish for my husband one day. His response was, "Dude, you've been holding out on me. Why haven't you ever made this for me before?" Ha...well, what can I say? I've made him galbi (Korean short ribs), bulgogi (korean marinated beef), and other Korean dishes, which are dishes he loves. I guess I can add this to the list, too! —Sarah D
- 3.5 pounds beef short ribs
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 8 pieces garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1.5 tablespoons brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice wine
- 1/2 daikon radish, peeled and chopped into 2-inch chunks
- 1 handful dried shitake mushrooms
- 3 cups cups of water
- 4 carrots, peeled and chopped into 2 inch chunks
- 1 Asian pear, grated with juices
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 8 dried jujubes, rinsed with cold water
- 3 tablespoons corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- Soak the dried shitake mushrooms for 3 to 4 hours.
- Soak the beef short ribs in cold water for 40 minutes, rinsing the water every 10 minutes so the blood comes out of the meat.
- Boil water in a large pot with the beef short ribs for about 10 minutes. (I use my cast iron dutch oven and it works the best!)
- Drain the beef short ribs and rinse with cold water, removing all the blood.
- In a bowl, add the 3 cups of water to the soy sauce, minced garlic, ginger, chopped onion, grated Asian pear and it's juice, rice wine and brown sugar, mixing thoroughly.
- Pour the marinade into the pot and add the short ribs. Cover and bring to a boil for about 20 minutes.
- Next, add carrots, daikon radish, shitake mushrooms, dried jujubes, into the large pot. Cover the pot and simmer on low heat for about 1 hour. Make sure to stir the ribs and other ingredients from time to time, and also pour the liquid over the top of the meat, so the meat can reach it's fullest flavor.
- Once the hour has passed, open the lid to see if the stew is done. You can check by poking the beef to see if it's tender.
- Once the meat is all cooked, add the corn syrup, sesame oil, black pepper, and pine nuts. Heat the stew over high heat, uncovered, until half the liquid evaporates.
- Transfer the stew on a serving dish and serve with steamed rice.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Autumn Soup
The Best Vegan Cookbook Tips
Better "bacon," tofu's texture, and more
The best vegan cookbook tips.
What to watch (and cook to) on Netflix.
It's time to travel.
Why you should be drinking tequila.
Off to market.