If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I am always up for a fight, especially when it involves food. So when a colleague suggested that meat had no taste, I argued...and then grew silent. Then he mentioned his love for Chilli sin carne, him being a vegetarian and all and this was born. I'll warn you up front, this is a useful one to have in the bag. The children LOVE it on pasta, it goes great with rice....is delicious in a grill lasagne and even works as a filling in a Cheat's ravioli.....it is not one to be trifled with. —Kitchen Butterfly
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds, dry roasted and crushed
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds, dry roasted and crushed
- 1 teaspoon tomato puree
- 400 milliliters passata or sieved tomato sauce
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced or chopped in small bits
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 200 milliliters vegetable stock (or made up with a stock cube and water)
- 125g kidney beans (from a tin, rinsed and drained)
- 125g white beans e.g cannellini (from a tin, rinsed and drained)
- 1-2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- Chili pepper , to taste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a pan on medium heat, and after a minute add sliced onions and a pinch of salt. Stir and let cook slowly till the onions begin to take on colour, about 5 minutes.
- Add the crushed coriander and cumin seeds and the tomato puree. Let cook for a minute or two, stirring all the time and then add the passata, garlic, paprika, stock, beans, sugar and chili pepper (if using).
- Let stew slowly on low heat for 20 minutes, stirring now and again. Taste and adjust seasoning as you desire.
- When ready, crush some beans using your cooking spoon to thicken, if the sauce is too thin. Serve with some rice, guacamole and sour cream or stuff into a pasta shell, garnish with grated cheese and basil and serve
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chili
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Beans
A Money-Saving Kitchen
Yes, it is possible! Let's get organized
Ways to a money-saving kitchen.
Recipe of the Day
Alice Waters's favorite tools.
Take care of your cutting boards.
Get your shine on.