Author Notes: Dust your carrots with fresh earthy spices and roast them until they caramelize into sweet charred buttery nuggets. Then steep them in an unguent broth before pureeing into silky goodness and topping with a trio of seeds, slices of avocado and salty feta. - Glass Jar Soup Company
- 1 pound fresh carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups chopped yellow onion (about 1 large onion)
- 4 cups homemade chicken broth
- 2 cups carrot juice
- 1/2 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 425. Place chopped carrots in a large bowl and pour the melted butter over them. Stir to be sure the butter coats each piece. Sprinkle in the next 5 ingredients and stir to be sure the spices are evenly distributed.
- Dump onto a half sheet pan and roast for 30 minutes. Stir once.
- While the carrots roast, heat olive in a Dutch oven (I use 6.75 quart) over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for 8-10 minutes until soft and translucent.
- Add the roasted carrots, juice and broth. Cover and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add 1/2 tsp salt and lemon juice. Gently reheat and taste for seasonings. Be careful of adding too much salt as the feta and sunflower seeds will also add saltiness.
- Serve with a sprinkle of the seed mixture, a few slices of avocado and some feta.
- 4 tablespoons salted sunflower seeds
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
- 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 Hass avocado, sliced
- crumbled feta
- To toast the sesame seeds, place them in a small dry skillet over medium heat and toast until fragrant (about 5 minutes). When slightly cooled, combine them with the other seeds in a small bowl.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Autumn Soup